Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Day 1 of Seeing Sideways

One of the things that stuck out the most to me about Seeing Sideways is that this is not your ordinary class.  From the start we were told to sit in a circle and basically have a discussion. It kind of reminded me of counseling a bit. I know that is not the point of the class it just looked like that.  It was interesting because it takes us out of the normal classroom setting.

Another thing that stuck out to me is the break that we had half-way through class.  We were told to leave the classroom but we had to stay in our chairs.  We were sitting on wheel chairs by the way.  It was an interesting experience.  We get some experience of what it is like if you are unable to walk.  We couldn't use the stairs. Actually, we could use the stairs but that won't be a good idea.  Luckily, the buttons of the elevators were low enough for us to push.

The last thing was our first assignment or experiment. Our instructor had us take an egg and told us to do something creative with it.  That is all she said to us. I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed with that.  Most of my school career I was told what to do with steps to help me.  There was one class that I took that is similar to this class.  In my photography class we were given a topic and then the teacher told us to do something based on the topic.  That was more narrow, though, when it comes to creativity but the same idea.  This class will help me because I know that I won't always will be told what to do.  I might get some help but not a whole lot.  So this will help me become less dependent on others and help me with my critical thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment